Thanksgiving Recipes : Roast turkey with lemon & garlic
Thanksgiving Dinner recipe | Thanksgiving food
- Prep:30 mins
- Cook:3 hrs and 25 mins
- Plus resting and up to 2 days brining
- Serves 8
Love crispy skin on roast turkey at Christmas? You’ll be fan of this recipe, which uses storecupboard ingredients to make a festive favourite even more special
Nutrition: Per servingNutrientUnitkcal679fat33gsaturates14gcarbs2gsugars1gfibre0gprotein94gsalt4.8g
Ingredients | Thanksgiving Turkey food recipes
- 5-6kg oven-ready turkey, neck and giblets removed and kept for the gravy
- 1 onion, halved
- 1 lemon, halved (save the zest for the butter)
- whole bulb of garlic, halved
For the salt mix
- 2 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp thyme leaves
- 1 tsp peppercorns
For the butter
- 100g butter
- 4 tbsp vegetable bouillon powder (we used Marigold)
- 1 lemon, zested (from the lemon for the turkey)
- STEP 1Up to two days ahead, make the salt mix by grinding the salt with the thyme leaves and pepper in a spice grinder or using a pestle and mortar. Sit the turkey in a roasting tin and gently push your fingers under the skin, starting from the neck, until you can push your whole hand in down the length of the breast. Take care not to tear the skin.
- STEP 2Season the bird all over with the salt mix, inside and out and under the skin. Leave the turkey in the tin, breast-side up, and put in the fridge for up to two days – the longer you salt it, the more succulent the turkey will be. For the crispest skin, leave the turkey uncovered so it dries out, but loosely cover it if you prefer.
- STEP 3Tip the butter, vegetable stock powder and lemon zest into a small bowl and mix until completely combined. Cover and chill. Can be made a few days ahead or frozen, wrapped in cling film, for one month.
- STEP 4Remove the turkey from the fridge an hour or so before you want to cook it. Remove the butter from the fridge to soften. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Work out your cooking time based on 40 mins per kg for the first 4kg, plus 45 mins for every kg after that.
- STEP 5Use your hands to spread the butter under the skin so that it covers the entire breast area and work it into the crevice between the thigh and the main body, then smooth the skin over with your hands. Put the onion, lemon halves, and garlic in the cavity.
- STEP 6Cover the tin loosely with foil and roast for the calculated cooking time. Around 30 mins before the end of cooking, increase the oven temperature to 200C/180C fan/gas 6, remove the foil, baste the turkey and return to the oven. When the turkey is beautifully brown and cooked through, remove from the oven and leave to rest on a warm platter covered with foil for up to 1 hr. Save the juices from the tin to make gravy.
Thanksgiving food recipes : Green Beans Almondine
- SERVES: 6
- PREP TIME: 5 min
- COOK TIME: 10 min
- CALORIES: 111
Toasted almonds, with their delicate crunchy texture, are a perfect foil for these garlicky green beans. The resulting side dish is as elegant as it is simple—which is to say, very.
Move Over, Green Bean Casserole—There’s a New Game in Town.
Thanksgiving Dinner recipes meal
It’s safe to say that most of us have a soft spot for old-fashioned green bean casserole—it’s a nostalgic dish, and a Thanksgiving classic. But—and you knew that there was a “but” coming, right?—this year we’re feeling a little more ambitious. Fresh green beans are only slightly more work than canned, and their satisfying snap is a lively addition to just about any meal—holiday or otherwise.
Impress Your Friends—Tell Them You Made Green Beans Almondine.
Because you did! “Green beans almondine”—spelled ‘amandine’ in French, but typically spelled “almondine” in American cook book—is a classic French preparation, and the word “almondine” is just a culinary term for garnishing with almonds. Toasted almonds, with their delicate crunchy texture, are a perfect foil for our garlicky green bean recipe. The resulting side dish is as elegant as it is simple—which is to say, very.
3 Ingredients & Not a Can in Sight.
While these sautéed green beans make for a fast and delicious side dish any night of the week—and just about any time of year!—they’re one of our favorite Thanksgiving upgrades. Just three, whole ingredients (we’re not counting oil and salt—those are a given) and an unbelievably quick preparation make it a refreshingly healthy, wholesome addition to your holiday menu. All you’ll need for this green bean recipe is:
- Green beans. Also known as string beans or haricots verts, look for a vibrant green hue and a strong “snap” to ensure freshness.
- Garlic. Lots of it—6 cloves to be exact.
- Slivered almonds.
How to Cook Green Beans
Cooking green beans is a breeze. You don’t have to do much prep—especially if you have the ability to delegate the green bean trimming to the tiny members of your household—garlic green beans are about speed and celebrating the vibrancy and satisfying crunch of fresh string beans. Here’s how to make it:
- Toast the slivered almonds that make these green beans “amandine”!
- Sauté the green beans in your favorite skillet.
- When the beans take on an even brighter green hue and soften, add the garlic cloves.
- Sprinkle with almonds and salt to taste.
Thanksgiving Dinner : Easy thanksgiving turkey food recipe crown
Easy turkey crown
- Prep:10 mins
- Cook:1 hr and 30 mins
- Serves 4 – 6
Serve a traditional roast turkey for Christmas without the fuss. Use the sticky glaze you’d get on a ham to add flavour and golden colour to a turkey crown
Ingredients for thanksgiving turkey
- 50g butter, softened
- 2kg turkey crown on the bone
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice or a pinch of ground cloves
For the glaze | Thanksgiving dinner food
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
Method for Thanksgiving Easy turkey crown recipe
- STEP 1Heat oven to 190C/170C fan/gas 5. Smear the butter all over the turkey crown and season all over with salt and half the five spice. Put in a roasting tin, skin-side up, and roast for 30 mins. While the crown is roasting, mix all the glaze ingredients in a bowl with the rest of the five spice.
- STEP 2Remove the crown from the oven and brush the skin generously with half the glaze. Continue to roast for another hour, glazing twice more, until cooked all the way through and the glaze is sticky and caramelised. Leave to rest for at least 20 mins before carving. Save the juices from the tin to make gravy.
Thanksgiving Dinner : thanksgiving turkey food recipe
Thanksgiving Pumpkin pie Recipe
- Prep:40 mins
- Cook:1 hr and 30 mins
- Plus chilling
- More effort
- Serves 8
Fill a sweet shortcrust pastry tart case with lightly spiced squash to make a traditional American treat.
Ingredients for Thanksgiving pumpkin pie meal
- 750g/1lb 10oz pumpkin or butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into chunks
- 350g sweet shortcrust pastry
- plain flour, for dusting
- 140g caster sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp fresh nutmeg, grated
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 25g butter, melted
- 175ml milk
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
Method | Thanksgiving food
- STEP 1Place the pumpkin in a large saucepan, cover with water and bring to the boil. Cover with a lid and simmer for 15 mins or until tender. Drain pumpkin; let cool.
- STEP 2Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use it to line a 22cm loose-bottomed tart tin. Chill for 15 mins. Line the pastry with baking parchment and baking beans, then bake for 15 mins. Remove the beans and paper, and cook for a further 10 mins until the base is pale golden and biscuity. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
- STEP 3Increase oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Push the cooled pumpkin through a sieve into a large bowl. In a separate bowl, combine the sugar, salt, nutmeg and half the cinnamon. Mix in the beaten eggs, melted butter and milk, then add to the pumpkin purée and stir to combine. Pour into the tart shell and cook for 10 mins, then reduce the temperature to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Continue to bake for 35-40 mins until the filling has just set.
- STEP 4Leave to cool, then remove the pie from the tin. Mix the remaining cinnamon with the icing sugar and dust over the pie. Serve chilled.
Thanksgiving Turkey & chestnut gravy
Thanksgiving Dinner food
- Prep:10 mins
- Cook:30 mins
- Serves 4
Make this rich turkey and chestnut gravy to accompany your Christmas dinner. If you use goose fat or butter, it can be made ahead, chilled and frozen
Nutrition: Per servingNutrientUnitkcal142fat7gsaturates2gcarbs7gsugars1gfibre1gprotein4gsalt0.8g
Ingredients for Thanksgiving Turkey & chestnut gravy
- pan juices from the turkey roasting tin or 2 tbsp goose fat or butter
- raw turkey giblets
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 200ml dry white wine
- 500ml chicken stock
- 1 thyme sprig
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp chestnut purée
Method | Thanksgiving Turkey & chestnut gravy
- STEP 1Once the turkey has cooked and is resting on a board, carefully pour the juices from the roasting tin into a large heatproof jug. Leave to settle, then pour all of the fat into a separate jug. Put 2 tbsp fat in a saucepan and carefully dispose of the rest. If you have lots of pan juices left after skimming the fat off, substitute this for some of the chicken stock. Alternatively, put the goose fat or butter in a saucepan.
- STEP 2Put the saucepan with the fat in on the heat and add the giblets. Cook for 10 mins or until golden, then add the flour. Cook for 2-3 mins, then add the white wine and stir well. Pour in the chicken stock, then add the thyme and bay. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 25-30 mins or until reduced by half, then stir in the chestnut purée.
- STEP 3Strain the gravy into a jug, discard the herbs and giblets, season and serve with turkey.