These mini Bakewell bites combine pastry and cake are designed for making in batches and cooking from frozen
Prep:15 mins │ Cook:40 mins │ Easy│ Serves 12
- 375g pack all-butter puff pastry
- 75g self-raising flour , plus extra for dusting
- 12 rounded tsp morello cherry jam
- 75g plain sponge or madeira cake
- 100g butter , softened
- 75g ground almond
- 75g golden caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 25g flaked almond
- 100g icing sugar , sieved to decorate
- STEP 1Very thinly roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface. Stamp out 12 x 9cm circles with a fluted cutter, if you have one, and use to line a bun tin. Spread 1 rounded tsp of the cherry jam in the bottom of each tart.
- STEP 2Whizz the cake to crumbs in a food processor, then tip into a mixing bowl and add the flour, butter, ground almonds, caster sugar, eggs and almond extract. Beat together until smooth, then divide between the tarts, spreading a little with the back of a teaspoon to cover the jam. Scatter over the flaked almonds and openfreeze for 2 hrs, then wrap well in cling film and freeze for up to 2 months.
- STEP 3Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4 with a baking sheet in it. Unwrap the tarts from the freezer and loosely top with a sheet of foil. Bake on the heated baking sheet for 30-40 mins until golden, removing the foil halfway. Cool the tarts a little, then add a splash of water into the icing sugar to make a runny icing. Drizzle over the tarts and leave to set.
DON’T WANT TO FREEZE?
If you want to bake the tarts without freezing them first, the cooking time and temperature is the same – but make sure you roll your pastry thinly or the tarts may puff up too much. Alternatively, use sweet shortcrust pastry.